Laboratory of Cancer Treatment and Tissue Regeneration
Václav Liška et al. at the Biomedical Center, Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen, Charles University, Czech Republic
The Laboratory of Cancer Treatment and Tissue Regeneration, led by Assoc. prof. Václav Liška, M.D., Ph.D., is one of the laboratories of the Biomedical Center, Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen, Charles University, Czech Republic.
The main research focus of the lab is regeneration of parenchymal organs in relation to extensive surgical procedures. Our goal is to develop and/or experimentally verify all possibilities to improve the surgical treatment of patients with cancers, especially liver malignancies. The core of our work is experimental surgery in large animal models, which is supplemented by closely interconnected research of imaging methods, organ structure and perfusion, and clinical aspects of cancer treatment as well as by development of in-house image analysis and mathematical modelling software.
In our experimental surgery projects, we have established (in domestic pig) experimental models of steatohepatitis associated with chemotherapy, toxic alcoholic liver disease, and biliary cirrhosis.
We also develop software for advanced image analysis to predict regeneration capacity of the liver parenchyma and diagnose focal and diffuse liver diseases. Computational modelling features developed in collaboration with the Faculty of Applied Sciences, University of West Bohemia, Pilsen, are being continuously implemented in the software.
We also focus on imaging of portal system microcirculation and we explore the possibilities to apply our findings in clinical practice.
Long-term research aims
- regeneration of liver parenchyma and liver surgery
- portal micro- and macrocirculation
- reconstruction of portal system
- surgical and oncological treatment of malignancies
- immune system behaviour during progression of tumour disease
The Summer School
The course lasts two weeks and aims not only to teach the students surgical techniques and procedures in extensive practical exercises, but also to introduce them to the possibilities, limits and boundaries of the field as well as to the related areas of biomedical research. The for the purposes Summer School, we also run moderately popular Facebook page and Youtube channel.
- Assoc. Prof. Václav Liška, M.D., Ph.D.
- Prof. Vladislav Třeška, M.D., Ph.D.
- Prof. Boris Kreuzberg, M.D., Ph.D.
- Kristýna Bajcurová, M.D.
- Jan Brůha, M.D., Ph.D.
- Ondřej Brzoň, B.Sc.
- Lada Eberlová, M.D., Ph.D.
- Assoc. Prof. Ondřej Fiala, M.D., Ph.D.
- Assoc. Prof. Luboš Holubec, M.D., , Ph.D.
- Petr Hošek, Ph.D.
- Miroslav Jiřík, M.Sc., Ph.D.,
- Marie Karlíková, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Eva Korčáková, M.D.
- Patrik Mik, M.Sc.
- Assoc. Prof. Hynek Mírka, M.D., Ph.D.
- Vladislava Mlejnková – Dvořáková, M.Sc.
- Richard Pálek, M.D.
- Jáchym Rosendorf, M.D.
- Ondřej Vyčítal, M.D., Ph.D.
- Lenka Červenková, MVDr.
- Sobia Manzoor, Ph.D.
- Lukáš Bednář
- Martin Dolanský
- Radim Dvořák
- Jan Ševčík
- Alexey Razumnyi
- Mojmír Bohanes
- Jana Slobová
- Robert Polák, M.D.
- Nela Štorková, Ph.D., M.Sc.
- Vladimíra Moulisová, Ph.D., M.Sc.
- Maria Stefania Massaro , M.Sc.
- Jiří Škorpil, M.D., Ph.D.
- Ludmila Vodičková, M.D., Ph.D.
- Pavel Vodička, M.D., Ph.D.
- Veronika Vymetálková, Ph.D., M.Sc.
- Alena Opattova, Ph.D, M.Sc.
We have also created the book Experimental Surgery, which serves as a textbook for the Summer School, but we believe that it can be useful for many medical students and Ph.D. students interested in surgery and biomedical research in general.
Liska V. (ed.) et al. Experimental Surgery. Pilsen: Nava, 2016. ISBN 978-80-7211-490-0.